Saturday, February 25, 2012

TV Stand Hack

For Christmas this year, BP and I moved into the new century.    We finally got a flat screen television.  
The Story:  In trying to be frugal, we decided that since our old TV still worked we would keep the 100 lb big box circa 1994 TV that B got when he started college.    The bad part is that I have one just like it in our bedroom.   Yes, and they still work fine... until the World Series this year and the Cardinal were playing in the World Series.   We are not huge sports fans.   Ok, I'm not a huge sports fan except when it comes to Cardinals Baseball.   We love our Cards.    However, when the Series was on, our local TV station had the game in wide screen which was great if you have a new wide screen.   We didn't.   Therefore, we had to keep up with the score and the pitch count on our cell phones.   Not fun at our house.    B gave up and went to a friend's house.  A  friend who had a giant flat screen.   B quickly made his our Christmas wish list.   Here is the before.    


  
After Christmas, we came home from the Farm with our new TV and no TV stand.   Since we were BROKE, from Christmas, we decided to hack our old TV stand.  I bought it when I was in Law School from Target.   Typical DIY furniture construction.    To hack it, I removed the top and sides of the top.  I then replaced the top on the bottom of the base unit and secured with left over brace parts.   Pretty good I think.   A new one almost identical is $200....seriously.  Anyway, I like the hack.   I'm still trying to decorate around our new TV and stand.   Any suggestions.

We love the new TV.  You can actually hear what the people are saying.  Amazing how much the picture and sound has improved in say the last 15 years.   The old TV got a new home and we have a awesome TV that streams Netflix my new favorite way to watch shows.   No commercials...yipee.   Now our 8 year old doesn't recite commercials to me for every house hold problem I have....like neat receipts for my messy desk or the lint lizard for the dryer or the drain snake for the stopped up drain.

2 comments:

K said...

I love the re-purpose projects you post! Creative! :)

K said...

I love the re-purpose projects you post! Creative! :)